In the Bleak Midwinter

St Andrew’s Church, one of Moose Jaw’s most prominent landmarks, was gutted by fire 55 years ago on December 15th.  Firefighters think the fire started in the kitchen and spread quickly through the air ducts.  Although the stone outer shell seemed untouched by the flames, the interior was razed and all the stained glass was lost. 


Photo by retired airman Harry Blakey

The town rallied to fight the blaze:  along with members of the Moose Jaw Fire Department, firefighters responded from the air base (now called CFB 15 Wing) and the British American Oil refinery.  In spite of arctic temperatures, thousands watched the spectacular fire consume the building in just over three hours.  It was, at the time, the most expensive fire in Moose Jaw’s history.

I remember Mom answering the phone that evening and hearing the news.  It had been White Gift Sunday and donations of food had filled the nave. Now, ten days before Christmas, the United Church congregation had no place to dispense charity, sing carols, celebrate the Nativity or hear a sermon.  The damage came in well over a million dollars and there was no question that it would be rebuilt.

Moose Jaw Times Herald archival photo

For the next three years, St. Andrews’ congregation held services in the auditorium at A.E. Peacock Technical High School and we went to Sunday School in one of the classrooms. By 1967 we had a brand new church (on the same old site) and the pride of knowing the community had done it themselves.


Today, the United Church now shares this space with the Moose Jaw Multicultural Council, a non-profit services umbrella that helps integrate newcomers to Canada. There are language classes, a daycare, computer training and employment counselling. It’s a good fit for this grand building – there’s warmth, and useful work in the heart of the city.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a wise man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give him: give my heart

Comments

Popular Posts